The IoT platform should posses some of the qualities to satisfy customers’ needs, while flexibility, scalability, and interoperability should be the notable criteria for selections.
FREMONT, CA: Nowadays, most of the industries prefer Internet of Things (IoT) platform to manage the data flows, support application development, and provide basic analytics. These technologies are preferred more because it promises lower cost, faster time to market, and more professional help.
IoT devices are becoming part and parcel of the mainstream industries. If we look around, we can find that six out of ten devices are IoT based. Starting from doorbell camera to security systems, everything is depended on the same base. In coming years these objects will outnumber the population.
Following are the criteria a CIO can follow for choosing the best IoT platform partners:
1. A Platform with Partner Ecosystem: Partner ecosystem is something you need to consider while choosing a platform. It depends on the value offered by the partner and the extent of its offering (both software and hardware offerings). The ecosystem is usually made up of four varieties of people like vendors, pioneers, builders, transactors, and specialists.
2. Capability to Convert Data in to Insights: The reason of connecting devices is that they can collect big data around products, and workflows to use this data to do business. It is the capacity to perform data analytics. Consumers prefer to use platforms which can do complex data analyzing.
3. Secure Platform: Privacy and security is a primary concern while hiring a platform. It is advised to choose a vendor who can ensure 100 percent security. The secure platform can be selected on the base of standardization of a company.
4. The ability of Platform to Handle Solutions: For more number of connected devices, there is a need for scalability. This is a primary concern for most of the enterprises. Before adopting a platform, it is better to get an idea of their scalability. A better platform with proper scalability can handle the complexities that are caused when more devices are brought along. The IoT solution should be well equipped to deal with the bulk of data. The best vendors don’t rely on third parties but single-handedly offer the required functionality. It shows their ability and agility.
5. Interoperability Standards: To ensure flawless execution, a comprehensive variety of tools and solutions work with IoT to solve critical problems. The platform should have the ability to accompany these tools in an effortless manner. It should ensure compatibility with iOs and Android, networks outside Ethernet, like LAN or ZigBee.
6. The ability of Data Analysis and Monitoring: IoT mainly depends on four main pillars: things, data, people, and processes. A better platform always enables data analytics and real-time monitoring to its users. These features allow the users to monitor the device connectivity easily in real-time.
A platform should be customer-specific to become popular in the market. There are some criteria to judge whether to buy or not to buy the platform. Some standard customer-specific purchasing criteria are the number of partners available for an extension, flexibility to switch to other vendors, size and stability of the provider. Others are future availability of the platform, completeness of offering, availability at the time of need, etc.
“Internet of Things is transforming the everyday physical objects that surround us into an ecosystem of information that will enrich our lives. From refrigerators to parking spaces to houses, the Internet of Things is bringing more and more things into the digital fold every day, which will likely make the Internet of Things a multi-trillion dollar industry shortly.” — PricewaterhouseCoopers report.
In future Internet of Things will spread its roots to all the sectors and will rule the industry. It will replace human works and will become a helping hand for the workers. In other words, these technologies will get hold on human lives as well. The machine-era will arrive soon where machines take over the world.