Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) is a key element that led to the advent of the fourth revolution of industrial automation. Integrating IIoT with Industrial control system resulted in the creation of a cyber-physical system which combines advanced manufacturing technologies and computing for better outcomes. IIoT devices serve as a great tool for automation, but without proper security measures, they are highly vulnerable to cyber threats. These devices have been vastly adopted, but organizations did not pay much attention to the security, making them an easy target for hackers to get hands-on data.
Automotive companies embracing IIoT admit understanding the risk associated with tech as the exchange of data takes place over centralized storage without human intervention. Usually, these devices are connected with the company’s mainframe storage and processing solution resulting in higher chances of data breaches. Securing IIoT devices has become crucial as they cannot be avoided or eliminated from manufacturing processes. In the automotive industry, incidents of consumer data breaches can easily sabotage the company’s image.
A template for secure IIoT ecosystem is the need of the era. Verticals of this template are-
• Protecting data throughout the IIoT ecosystem.
• Securing IIoT devices for their life cycle by updating security measures.
• Augmenting detection and response to threats with automation and artificial intelligence.
To achieve secure IIoT ecosystem organizations will have to implement certain regulations that could ensure safety against threats.
• Apply user privacy controls to IIoT devices
• Implement user authentication for verification purpose
• Define a clear service-level-agreements (SLAs) for security and privacy
• Restrict the access of security system to minimal
• Deploy IIoT devices that come with in-built security layers which obstruct the breaches at first place
• Inventory management of all authorized and unauthorized software and users
• Regular update in security systems and software to tackle evolving threats
• Automate device scanning for an agile and better defense system
• Integrate artificial intelligence technology in the security system for predicting threats, real-time monitoring, and response.
IIoT is a great tool to harness automation and agility, but data protection and privacy are equally important for the long run.
Check Out: Top Industrial IoT Solution Providers